Thursday, November 11, 2010

A huge accomplishment - Dinner

I admit, I'm not great at having dinner on the table when my husband gets home.  But I used to be much worse.  Goose is a very picky eater, and in an attempt to actually get him to eat like a normal child, we read the book Child Of Mine, and took some of the great advice to heart.  Some of the advice that has helped us immensely has been to feed your child at the same time as you eat, and to always offer your child the same food you're eating, with the addition of a food that they are certain to eat.  For instance, if we are having salmon with spinach and potatoes for dinner, Goose gets the exact same thing, with the addition of egg noodles, as he usually finds those to be amenable to his delicate palate ;) 
We were not doing any of those things.  I was feeding Goose, then my husband and I would eat after he went to bed.  I had also become a terrible short-order cook.  I remember one day when my husband came home, the house had food everywhere.  Small dishes of things like edamame, and cereal, and crackers, and broccoli and pasta were strewn about the house in my efforts to get Goose to Just. Eat. Something.
Anyway, I don't do that anymore.  In fact, since we're supposed to be all eating together, now I try to have dinner ready by 6 PM when Goose eats, so that we can all eat together. 
That doesn't mean it's easy.  But as with all necessities, it has to get done, so it does.  I use the crock pot a lot more.  I cook bigger meals so that I can serve up leftovers more frequently.
I wanted to share my favorite crock pot recipe right now.  We had it the other night, and Goose gobbled it right up.  Even better?  It's cheap, healthy and ridiculously easy.

Unfortunately, I can't credit the originator of this recipe.  A good friend of mine passed it along, so I'm not sure where it came from.  But it is definitely on our regular rotation!

Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken

 
2 cups frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 large frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
1 1/2 cups salsa

Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker. Pour frozen corn into the bottom of the slow cooker and place the frozen chicken breasts on top. Cover with beans and salsa. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir until the chicken, corn, beans and salsa are combined.

Serve on a bed of tortilla chips or as a taco and top with additional garnishes: lettuce, tomato, avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment